Introduction to Project Tracker
Project Tracker is a highly configurable artifact tracking tool that can be used for all types of projects: technical and non-technical alike. Because all parameters in the system are configurable, this tool meets the needs of the project as well as the individual user. Each implementation can be configured directly to the workflow processes of the project through the definition of artifact types and attributes. The user interface is designed to be accessible and constant: once you become familiar with the look and feel you will find new processes quick to master.
Project Tracker provides a robust set of tools for artifact management:
Artifact entry: The artifact entry process is designed to help
you create meaningful artifacts and avoid duplication. Administrators can
configure artifact entry to check for duplicates before an artifact can be
submitted. If any duplicates are found, you can review potential duplicates, add
comments to similar artifacts or modify your artifact before committing it to the
Templates for artifact entry: Frequently entered artifact
criteria can be saved in templates for speedy entry.
Artifact query: You can access artifacts in the database using
the query feature. You can find, access and modify artifacts individually. The
advanced query feature allows you to create detailed artifact searches, and limit
your search to specific date or artifact number ranges. Frequently used queries can
be saved and run.
Reports: The robust reports interface allows you to create and
save reports. Reports provide customizable and meaningful metrics.
- Email notifications: As important events occur, email is generated and sent to all parties associated with the event. Alert email contain links to views of the event.
Using the Project Tracker home page
The Project Tracker home page is your portal to all Project Tracker activities. You can access the Project Tracker home page from anywhere in the project by clicking the Project Tracker link in the navigation bar. Once on the Project Tracker home page you can access the Enter artifacts, Query artifacts, and Generate reports tabs.
The Enter artifacts tab lists all the artifact types available to you in this project. (By default the artifact type that may be available for you to use is the IT-PT Conversion artifact type.) Each artifact type is listed with a description.
- You can click the the name of an artifact type to take you to the Enter new artifact screen.
- Access any artifact entry template available for each artifact type through the drop down list in line with the artifact type.
- Select an artifact template in line with the artifact type to populate the Enter new artifact form with data from the selected template.
The Query artifacts tab presents a list of saved queries. Each query lists the name, description, level of availability, an edit button and the user responsible for creating the query.
- Click the name of the saved query to run the query.
- Click the Edit link in line with a query to access the Edit query page.
- On the Query artifacts tab you can select one or more saved queries by clicking on the checkbox in the Select column next to the name of the query.
- You can use the Copy selected or Delete selected buttons with your selected saved queries.
The Create new button accesses the query building functionality, from which you can create a simple, advanced or cross project query.
The Generate reports tab provides a list of all saved reports available to you in this project. Each saved report is presented with the name, description, availability, an Edit link and the user responsible for authoring the report.
- Click the name of the report to run the report.
- Click the Edit link to edit the report.
- Select the checkboxes in line with the name of the report to select one or more reports for deletion using the Delete selected button.
- Create new reports using the Create new button.
While Project Tracker is designed to be an easy to use, intuitive application, should you need additional assistance this help system has been provided. In the help system you will find definitions of Project Tracker terminology and navigation aid as well as hints for using the application.